• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 form question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbever

State: IN

I heard mention of some sort of 1099 form that needs to be filed if a person files bankruptcy. Can someone please explain if this is something mandatory and how a person would obtain this form?

Thanks for any help.

abezon

A person who files BK might receive a 1099-C, & would have to file a form to show that they were insolvent when the debt was cancelled to avoid paying income taxes on it.

sbever

What form would need to be filed for insolvency? Is there a publication I might be able to read to understand better?

Thanks so much for your help.

LdiJ

sbever said:
What form would need to be filed for insolvency? Is there a publication I might be able to read to understand better?

Thanks so much for your help.
Insolvency isn't the only issue. If the debt was in regards to a specific asset "basis" is also a significant factor.

In any case...you don't "get" the 1099 C, you are sent the 1099 C by a creditor. If you get one, consult with a professional tax preparer, preferibly an enrolled agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">