• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Investigator in MA/RI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xomycatsxo

Private Investigator Needed to Uncover info on Child Molestor

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to this forum and am excited to have found it!

I don't know if this is something I should be asking but I was wondering if anyone knew of a reputable and reasonably priced P.I in the MA/RI area. The person lives in Woonsocket, RI but the crimes were committed in Uxbridge, MA - which is on the border of RI.

I am working w/ the Worcester County DA's office in MA regarding a man I came forward about that molested me 22 yrs ago, for several years. I was just told today that I am in fact still within the Statute of Limitations BUT these cases are extremely difficult to win. I was told we most likely need to put together more evidence. I've given them so much detail and they have witnesses (someone I told when I was only 7 yrs old), as well as my mother, but they still think we need more.

I'm really afraid they will decide we don't have enough to convict him beyond a reasonable doubt and I'm sure you can imagine the anguish and desperation I am going through right now. My life has been completely destroyed because of this person - I need to see justice served.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you so much!

Last edited:

CdwJava

Even if they can still technically prosecute, what kind of evidence do you expect a PI to find after 22 years? Unless he bragged about it to people, saved a token of the encounter, or admits to committing the act, a prosecution is next to impossible.

I don't want to throw water on your fire, but the truth is that prosecution is not likely. If the DA is not actively pursuing the matter, hiring a PI is simply going to cost you a LOT of money. The DA has resources a PI does not have - including the ability to subpoena records. And if the DA is not commiting his o rher resources to the investigation, that would tell me that they don't see it as a viable case. They will likely accept anything you spoon feed them (even though it could be challenged in court more easily than info from the police or the DA's investigator), but if they aren't doing it themself they don't feel confident enough to commit the resources to this.

Believe me, I understand your desire to see your abuser face justice. But, the simple fact is that this is nearly impossible without the things I mentioned above. You likely face the possibility of thousands of dollars in PI fees with a very small chance of the case even going to court.

Sorry.

- Carl

xomycatsxo

Thank you very much for your response, I appreciate your comments.

The DA I spoke w/ today said it's not out of the question - we do have some evidence and other material that would definitely help us. The problem is the witnesses, he thinks, are not that credible. He thinks they are not that credible because one is my mother (who was charged w/ neglect) and the other is the person I told the crime to, whose child also abused me. He also stated it would be difficult because there are a dozen other people that also abused me, although this man I came forward about (my mother's first husband) was the worst perp - committing this act night after night, year after year. He said the defense could easily argue that being as young as I was, it is not out of the question for me to have confused all of the men and abuse.

My mother was also beat my him, which when I explained this to the DA - his tone changed a little and I think thought it was worth looking into even further. No one has interviewed my mother - I only spoke to her when I found this person (Oct. 2004) and came forward about what he did. I believe the DA may schedule a time to interview her (via phone as she lives in TN).

There is also a Discharge Summary document from a group home I lived at in RI, that I was able to get a copy of. Part of this document included a medical review- findings from a physical I had when I arrived at the group home that showed significant signs of sexual abuse. I was told this is great for Discovery - as it proves I am not coming forward, 22 yrs later and just making things up.

There's so much more that I could mention that makes my case worthy of trying, IF only we could get our hands on a few more things that could help w/ the reasonable doubt part of it.

The DA wanted me to get in touch w/ my sister. My sister slept in the same room with me and may have witnessed him taking me out of the room every night. My sister and I have NEVER spoken about any of our abuse but I'm pretty certain she would have witnessed this. He said even with her coming forward stating she witnessed this, he said the defense could manipulate it into something very innocent. He said if she saw me crying, or saw the actual abuse - that's very strong and would help us a great deal.

The other strong piece of this is that I remember very well (too well) many of the things he did. When I first went to the Uxbridge PD in MA to be interviewed, the detective drove myself and husband around the town. He had a book that referenced all the places my mother had lived back then. He wanted to see how much I could remember but not expecting much from me. Well, it turned out that I kept questioning one apt. building, becoming adament that there was something about it. He did not have that address on file and was trying to tell me the abuse must have happened somewhere else. When we got back to the station, I insisted he call my mother in TN. He did reach her and she told him we in fact did live there, with this man, for a few years.

He then asked me to draw what I remember the apt. to be and when I did, he was genuinely shocked because I draw it exactly the way it looks even today. He said he has been in there many, many times and I hit the nail on the head. Aside from this, I also gave him a very detailed description of what I recollect happened, down to 'props' and other things used.

I only explain some of this because I want to show why this is something the DA is on the fence about - why if I can come up with just that little bit more that MUST be out there, I can possibly convict a child molestor that has been out on the streets for 20 + years. After much research, I've learned that a person who sexually abuses a child as young as I was, doesn't just stop at one victim - their average number of victims is over 100!

I am confident I am not the only one he's done these horrible things to, therefore it is imperitive that I finally put an end to this criminal's ways. I need to stop him from hurting anyone else, and make him pay for the childhood he so selfishly and violently stole from me. I need to give him back all the pain and suffering I've been carrying for so long now. There's a long road ahead of me but I have a supportive husband and a great network of friends that love every bit of who I am, good and bad.

I do appreciate your feedback and apologize if I wrote too much, especially if some of it wasn't relevant. My head is spinning from everything, and again - I'm just so desperate to do what I can to see justice served. I have come this far - I'm not giving up without a fight.

Thanks once again! :)

CdwJava said:
Even if they can still technically prosecute, what kind of evidence do you expect a PI to find after 22 years? Unless he bragged about it to people, saved a token of the encounter, or admits to committing the act, a prosecution is next to impossible.

I don't want to throw water on your fire, but the truth is that prosecution is not likely. If the DA is not actively pursuing the matter, hiring a PI is simply going to cost you a LOT of money. The DA has resources a PI does not have - including the ability to subpoena records. And if the DA is not commiting his o rher resources to the investigation, that would tell me that they don't see it as a viable case. They will likely accept anything you spoon feed them (even though it could be challenged in court more easily than info from the police or the DA's investigator), but if they aren't doing it themself they don't feel confident enough to commit the resources to this.

Believe me, I understand your desire to see your abuser face justice. But, the simple fact is that this is nearly impossible without the things I mentioned above. You likely face the possibility of thousands of dollars in PI fees with a very small chance of the case even going to court.

Sorry.

- Carl

xomycatsxo

Update from DA's

Hi there,

I just had a call from the DA's office. He was looking my file over in greater detail and had a few questions. He is saying we still have the statute of limitations issue because if I told anyone about him (staff, therapist, etc.) - it would have been their legal responsibility to report him to the police, therefore beginning the Statute of Limitations. From the sounds of it though, there was never a report against him. He also said in MA, the Statute of Limitations changed a few times in and since the 80's. It sounds like there is a lot of variables that go into this - a lot of obstacles we need to overcome.

He is not giving up though! He is contacting the detective I originally dealt with and asking that he take an official statement from my mother.

When I asked him about a PI to find out if there are any other victims, he said it would be very difficult to find victims that are willing to come forward. He didn't shut out the idea, just said it would be difficult.

The DA did mention that they may have a difficult time getting ahold of my file at the RI DCYF. I made many, many phone calls to DCYF after I found this man. I was given the run around many times but was very persistant and was told I could most likely have them as long as they black out everyone else's name in the file (because of HIPAA). I told him (the DA) this and he said he'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for listening and letting me update!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">