• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a wierd Florida statue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haynie

wi wasnt paying attention while shopping and i walked out of the store to get some money to pay for what was in my hand. i was then apprehended by some securtiy guys who grabbed me a little forcefully. after having to sign some POS peice of paper to get out of there i was told that nothign else would happen. i get a letter a few weeks later saying i owe 200 dollars under a civil remedies act for theft. I looked up the statute, and the only time that the word theft appears in the statute is in the title. the entire thing is about ripping off old ppl. it is Fl Statute 772.11.

If anyone can please do so... i would like to know my options etc.

Last edited:

justalayman

Pay the money willingly or get sued and pay the money, plus the collection and court fees, begrudgingly.

Many states have similar statutes.

divgradcurl

the entire thing is about ripping off old ppl.
Why do you think that? The statute doesn't limit itself to "old" shoplifters -- shoplifters of ANY age can get hit with this type of "civil fine."

The fine is their to reimburse the store for the amount of money it spends to prevent shoplifting in the first place...

haynie

divgradcurl said:
Why do you think that? The statute doesn't limit itself to "old" shoplifters -- shoplifters of ANY age can get hit with this type of "civil fine."

The fine is their to reimburse the store for the amount of money it spends to prevent shoplifting in the first place...
i was saying that the statue doesnt mention anythign about shoplifting except for the title. I read through it and it was about treating the elderly improperly. i just thought there would be more about shoplifting for them to use it

JETX

haynie said:
the entire thing is about ripping off old ppl. it is Fl Statute 772.11.
There is NOTHING about old people when the statute says:
772.11 Civil remedy for theft or exploitation.--
(1) Any person who proves by clear and convincing evidence that he or she has been injured in any fashion by reason of any violation of ss. 812.012-812.037 or s. 825.103(1) has a cause of action for threefold the actual damages sustained and, in any such action, is entitled to minimum damages in the amount of $200, and reasonable attorney's fees and court costs in the trial and appellate courts.

If anyone can please do so... i would like to know my options etc.
Your 'options' are as listed in the above statutory portion.... pay them or they can sue you for the $200 PLUS attorney fees and court costs.

haynie

thanksyou

thankyou all.

i must have missed that entire paragraph... lol... thanks for clearing all that up.
ther goes the money for a rainy day XD

stephenk

"i walked out of the store to get some money to pay for what was in my hand."

Right sparky. Almost everyone I know shops that way too. Go in the store, take what you want, go outside with the item to get their money, and then return to the store with the item and money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">