• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pay back the money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sogirlie29

a guy i was dating gave me 500 to help with my bills. now he is mad at me and wants the money back. he says if i dont pay him back he will take me to court and say i didnt use the money like i told him i would and accuse me of fraud/conning him. is this possible?

I am in Idaho

Last edited:

xylene

sogirlie29 said:
a guy i was dating gave me 500 to help with my bills. now he is mad at me and wants the money back. he says if i dont pay him back he will take me to court and say i didnt use the money like i told him i would and accuse me of fraud/conning him. is this possible?
He GAVE you the money. He has no case.

OR

Is it more complicated? Were you living together? Were these shared bills?

sogirlie29

there was no promissary note or anything of the sort...he did write a check to me but there was no specifications as to where the money was to go. we have never lived together and have no shared bills.

justalayman

sogirlie29 said:
there was no promissary note or anything of the sort...he did write a check to me but there was no specifications as to where the money was to go. we have never lived together and have no shared bills.
I believe the real question is to what was the money intended to be:

gift

loan

If it was given as a gift, and you may have to convince a judge of this, he does not get it back and he is SOL as to what it was used for.

If a loan he will have to convince a judge of that and you will probably be required to repay the loan.

With nothing written it will get down to he said-she said and it will be up to the judge to make a determination.

badapple40

Which, in most cases/states is determined to be a gift, especially given the money amount and no signed agreement to repay.

But we don't know, because the OP didn't post where she was from.

stephenk

Truthfully, did you intend the money to be a loan that you would pay back? did you ask for the money and tell him you would pay him back?

sogirlie29

the money wasnt a "loan"...he gave me the money so i could take care of some things...he is now saying i didnt use the money as he intended and wants to take me to court...he is saying this because he is angry with me...i dont know what to do. im scared to go to court?

justalayman

sogirlie29 said:
the money wasnt a "loan"...he gave me the money so i could take care of some things...he is now saying i didnt use the money as he intended and wants to take me to court...he is saying this because he is angry with me...i dont know what to do. im scared to go to court?

You keep bringing up the point of "he said I didn't use the money as intended."

What was the intended use and what did you use it for? Did the bills get paid?. How can one differentiate which dollar was the one that was to be used to pay a specific bill?

justalayman

sogirlie29 said:
i am pregnant and he gave me the money to have an abortion. i used it to buy maternity clothes.
If you are serious.

Yes he has a right to his money back if you accepted it for that purpose.

If this is his child, he also has a right to pay his fair share of child support after the child is born. That might be why he is a bit miffed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">