• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be prosecuted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twjr

I live in Illinois, I met what turned out to be a 16 year old girl on the internet. She lives in Portland. I was not aware of this when we met. I am 44, I was told by her she was 29, when I found out she was younger I blocked her from my pc. We never met in person, but did discuss sexual acts online and had masterbated together while online together.

Last edited:

You would never be convicted of anything. You asked how old she was. She told you she was 29. You DID NOT knowingly hold any conversations with a minor. You were under the assumption she was an adult. She misled you, thereby clearing you of any wrong doing.

twjr

How long is a statute of limitations on this. Meaning, how many years after the alleged offence can thay try to come back and prosecute? And if prosecuted what kind of time would be expected. With no previous criminal offenses of course.

zippysgoddess

You would be best suited to keep any proof you can that shows she deliberately mislead you as to her age, to show that you weren't deliberately courting an affair with a minor.

I don't know what the SOL is, but keep the proof, if you can still find it somewhere in your PC archives, just to protect your a** in the future in case anything does arise from it.

and take heed to the warnings. Use the dating services if you want a legal and safe way to met and date people over the internet. A lot of law enforcement are running internet chat room sting operations to lure people into A LOT of things. Like everyone has said save the proof and be ready to present it if anything is said.....

They would have to prove that you KNOWINGLY had conversations of a sexual nature with a minor. If you asked her what grade she was in, what school she goes to, or where her parents are, you'd be guilty of knowingly talking sexually with a minor. By her saying she was 29, you did nothing wrong. Maybe a little embarrassing, but not illegal. Even if she emailed a copy of her drivers license, how can you be sure its a real one?

In your mind, you were conversing with an adult. Talking dirty with a consenting adult is perfectly legal. To make a long story short, they would have to prove that you knew she was a minor. You believed what she told you and you proceeded to have some fun with her. I don't see anything wrong here.

DragonMom

tygersofpantang said:
You believed what she told you and you proceeded to have some fun with her. I don't see anything wrong here.
I agree, you did the right thing blocking her, but this is why internet dating is so dicey... how can you really believe anything anyone tells you? :confused:

Litigation!

twjr said:
but did discuss sexual acts online and had masterbated together while online together.

My response:

I just like that part.

IAAL

P.S. And, for your further edification, the word is spelled "masturbation."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">