• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my ex take the gift back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

normandie15

About three months ago, my ex (boyfriend at the time) gave me a pet dog as a gift. He lives in MI and I live in NY. Shortly after that, we broke up and I have not been to MI or him to NY since. I told hom a couple of days ago I was seeing someone else and he started yelling and screaming and said he was going to get his attorney involved and report the dog stolen, obviously to hurt me since he knows I absolutely love the dog. The dog has been in my possession and I have been taking care of the dog since I received him. Can my ex get his dog back?

justalayman

Based only on your post, No. A gift is forever unless there are contingencies.:D

The thing I did note in your post was this statement:

Can my ex get his dog back?

Why would you refer to it as "his" dog if it was indeed a gift to you?

normandie15

Thank you very much and what I mean by "his" is he paid for it and then gave it to me as a gift. And, his name is technically still listed as owner. But the dog was voluntarily given to me and I acceped all the responsibilites that go with being a dog owner. The dog was bought in MI and brought to NY with me about 3 months ago, also the last time I saw my ex. Would it also not be strange because when his attorney files the paperwork for stolen property, he would have to state the dog was "stolen" 3 months ago. Wouldn't the authorities be suspicious why he is reporting the dog as stolen 3 months later? Would this raise any red flags?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">