• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this a crime? what can i do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pthom

---state - pennsylvania----i am in charge of my retail stores lost and found...every 2 weeks i throw the stuff accumulated out and record it as thrown out...this past saturday there was a backpack, sweater, and 2 stuffed animals there which i thought my brother's kids could use...i recorded the stuff as thrown out placed the items in a bag and took them home with me...turns out the bag was torn, sweater to small so i threw them out myself at home and the trash was already collected..i still have the stuffed animals....now the owner of the bag has shown up demanding her lost item....i know i am on security camera taking the stuff but thought since it was lost and found stuff and not store selling items this would be ok to take and not a crime...now i am afraid of being arrested and going to jail becuase my work called me and said I must meet with them this sat and they hinted they know i left the store with the items..i haven't sleep for days and have never committed a crime before and didnt know this was one....what can i do?????? i suffer from bi-polar and depression and am really trying to fight off suicide urges over this

seniorjudge

pthom said:
---state - pennsylvania----i am in charge of my retail stores lost and found...every 2 weeks i throw the stuff accumulated out and record it as thrown out...this past saturday there was a backpack, sweater, and 2 stuffed animals there which i thought my brother's kids could use...i recorded the stuff as thrown out placed the items in a bag and took them home with me...turns out the bag was torn, sweater to small so i threw them out myself at home and the trash was already collected..i still have the stuffed animals....now the owner of the bag has shown up demanding her lost item....i know i am on security camera taking the stuff but thought since it was lost and found stuff and not store selling items this would be ok to take and not a crime...now i am afraid of being arrested and going to jail becuase my work called me and said I must meet with them this sat and they hinted they know i left the store with the items..i haven't sleep for days and have never committed a crime before and didnt know this was one....what can i do?????? i suffer from bi-polar and depression and am really trying to fight off suicide urges over this

Taking or keeping property that does not belong to you is theft.

pthom

if arrested will i have to spend night in jail? post bail? or just agree to appear in court and be released on my own without having to tell people?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
pthom said:
if arrested will i have to spend night in jail? post bail? or just agree to appear in court and be released on my own without having to tell people?
Maybe but arrests are public record and can easily be found out.

erzabel

pthom said:
yes it wrong to take from lost and found but being arrested i doubt it. I am involve with lost prevention with a major reatil store .I have written peole up to terminating them to having them arrested. This isn't a crime against the store but the customer. It would be up to her to press charges and you would likely be cited to appear in court. But your company can terminate you be cause it does consitute a theft no matter how you look at it.

xylene

pthom said:
What, if anything did you tell the owner of the bag?

Here's my take-

The lost items was thrown out- by the store along a standard policy (every 2 weeks). You 'rescued' the item, and that was probably against store policy. Most retailers have anti-trashpicking policies, to stop people from 'inventing' trash. You may be fired.

Nothing happened to the woman's stuff that wouldn't have happened anyway.

Lesson learned. Calm down. Put the suicidal ideation away. Don't do it again.

Now zip your lips, take your meds, and relax.

The store is not going to worry that much about some coot wanting their bag. Store- "I'm sorry, lost items are discarded after 2 weeks. I'd be happy to show you some nice new bags, they are in aisle 10."

zippysgoddess

You are young and made a mistake. I do not foresee jail time. Be honest with your employers about it and stop worrying so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">