• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sales Tax vs Income Tax Specifics (TEXAS - although not specific to this state)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LotusWaide

I want to use Actual Expenses - They are going to be considerably higher than the tables (and not due to any large purchases such as an auto). Main general question – Can I include tax on gasoline?

My local+state tax rate is 8.25% (Fort Worth, TX) - I assume this is the “General Tax Rate” indicated in Publication 600.

Rate Greater Than General Rate – Must use general rate. For example, the state and local excise tax on gasoline is 20% in Texas; however, I must cap my taxes paid at 8.25%.

So, the question is, am I allowed to claim 8.25% of the taxes paid on gasoline…or can I not since it is considered an “excise” tax instead of a “sales” tax?

Thanks for the tip/advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">