• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supervised visitation? w/ abuser dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sera

Colorado--My ex and I were never married, but have an 8 mo old son. He assaulted me when I was 5 months pregnant & got domestic violence assault charges. I left him when the baby was 4 months old and now have a permanant restraining order against him and am filing for sole custody (now called "decision-making").

I want to ask the courts (January date) that he only get supervised visitation (which he just started doing through an agency). What will my "parenting plan" (formerly called visitation) look like, how long can I reasonably get supervised visitation, if at all. My lawyer indicates that I am asking for too much, but I worry about my son's safety (he has never harmed my son--I never gave him that chance). Where can I find/look at other parenting plans that women victims of domestic violence have set up?? The ex is asking for equally split parenting time and overnights--this horrifies me! Please help!

LegalBeagle

Sera said:
Colorado--My ex and I were never married, but have an 8 mo old son. He assaulted me when I was 5 months pregnant & got domestic violence assault charges. I left him when the baby was 4 months old and now have a permanant restraining order against him and am filing for sole custody (now called "decision-making").

I want to ask the courts (January date) that he only get supervised visitation (which he just started doing through an agency). What will my "parenting plan" (formerly called visitation) look like, how long can I reasonably get supervised visitation, if at all. My lawyer indicates that I am asking for too much, but I worry about my son's safety (he has never harmed my son--I never gave him that chance). Where can I find/look at other parenting plans that women victims of domestic violence have set up?? The ex is asking for equally split parenting time and overnights--this horrifies me! Please help!
Your attorney would concern me.. even without a RO the father should not get overnight visitation for at least a year after birth. Since he is proved to be a violent person, it is not unreasonable to ask for supervised and limited visitation for the first two years. Then to review after that time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">