• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Deductible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrryder

I won a toolbox in a competition at the company I work for.The toolbox is worth almost 6,000 dollars. I use this toolbox at my job as a diesel technician. On one of my last pay stubs in 2005 the price was added to my earnings as NCGUpTtL and a TaxNCGUp. Since these are on my earnings can I deduct the toolbox on my taxes as a work related expense? I live in Maryland.Thank you.

Last edited:

abezon

If the value of the box was included in your W-2 box 1 wages, you can deduct it as an employment expense.

mrryder

TaxNCGUP is what my company paid for taxes on prize won at the competition. NCGUPTtl is the total of the taxes and the prize won. It is in box one of my W-2 earnings. Thanks MRRYDER

mrryder

Snipes5 said:
You need to tell us what those initials stand for, and then maybe we can help you.

Snipes
TaxNCGup is the taxes that my company paid because of the toolbox. It was in my earnings column on my paycheck. NCGUpTtl is the total of the toolbox and the taxes. That went in my YTD column on my paycheck. They are in the total of box one on my W-2. Thanks, MRRYDER

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">