• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In-Laws Taxing on Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CDSpeed

I currently live in FL and getting a divorce, my soon to be ex wife has moved to NY to live with her parents (big surprise) anyway her father wants to claim my son on his tax returns because he claims to be shelling out so much money. 1. Can he legally claim my son as a dependent on his taxes? And 2. What would be the repercussions if he claimed my son and I also claimed him? My current wife is not employed so she has no need to utilize the deduction.

Thanks.....

abezon

A noncustodial parent can claim their child only if the parents together provided over 1/2 the child's support. Since mom is living with her parents & not working, chances are the grandparents provided over 1/2 the kid's support, unless your child support was really high. In other words, grandpa can probably claim the kid.

LdiJ

abezon said:
A noncustodial parent can claim their child only if the parents together provided over 1/2 the child's support. Since mom is living with her parents & not working, chances are the grandparents provided over 1/2 the kid's support, unless your child support was really high. In other words, grandpa can probably claim the kid.
I agree if they were living with grandpa for most or all of 2005. However if the move was fairly recent, that might change things.

CDSpeed

Thanks alot guys this info really helps....my Lawyer down here was telling me not to worry because there was no way my soon to be ex-father inlaw could claim my Son.....I thought he was mistaken and now I have the real information,

Thanks Again!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">