• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small Claims Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john775

I am in the process of taking someone to Small claims court here in Illinois for non-payment of an invoice ( $250 ). That person is located in New York and has indicated that they will not appear for court. Once I get thru this and send out the court issue for payment I have to wait 30 days before I can ask to seek disclosure of assets. NOW, the problem arises. I am being transfered to Texas.... so, must I still seek the disclosure thru Illinois court, or can I have it transfered to a Texas Small Claims court? AND, if I must keep it in Illinois, will I be able to tack on the costs of traveling ( modestly ) back to the court for the hearing and to the cost that I can recover? Whew! I'm also considering just chunking the small claims issue and just seeking to have the guy arrested on theft. Comments and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance to all of you!

HomeGuru

john775 said:
I am in the process of taking someone to Small claims court here in Illinois for non-payment of an invoice ( $250 ). That person is located in New York and has indicated that they will not appear for court. Once I get thru this and send out the court issue for payment I have to wait 30 days before I can ask to seek disclosure of assets. NOW, the problem arises. I am being transfered to Texas.... so, must I still seek the disclosure thru Illinois court, or can I have it transfered to a Texas Small Claims court? AND, if I must keep it in Illinois, will I be able to tack on the costs of traveling ( modestly ) back to the court for the hearing and to the cost that I can recover? Whew! I'm also considering just chunking the small claims issue and just seeking to have the guy arrested on theft. Comments and/or suggestions? Thanks in advance to all of you!

**A: that's way too much trouble.

john775

Yeah, I know it is a lot of trouble, but darn it, I don't like being taken advantage of, and I'm not going to let someone think that they can get away with not paying for an item....or stealing it.

HomeGuru

john775 said:
Yeah, I know it is a lot of trouble, but darn it, I don't like being taken advantage of, and I'm not going to let someone think that they can get away with not paying for an item....or stealing it.

**A: then you should NOT have waited so long to take action.

john775

Excuse me? I got notification of transfer 3 days ago. I patiently waited 3 months with repeated excuses of why he could not pay. I gave the guy a chance.

HomeGuru

john775 said:
Excuse me? I got notification of transfer 3 days ago. I patiently waited 3 months with repeated excuses of why he could not pay. I gave the guy a chance.

**A: my point exactly. You waited 3 months.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">