• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locating Defendent's address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

legaleagle

Ok, I will make this horrendous, long story, as short as possible. I let this guy borrow ALOT of money from me, but b/c I feel like I shouldnt have been so stupid, I am only going to sue him for 5,000 instead of the 7,000 he owes me. Through IM/Email correspondence, it has been documented that he needed to "borrow" this amount of money from me and he would pay me back every month until it was fully paid. Well, that was in March 2005. He lives in NY and the money was wired, which I have receipts for. My problem is he has since changed his phone number and I do not have an address for him. He has a personal website and email, but if I even attempt to contact him, Im sure he will shut it down in order to evade me, which he has done for the past several months. I cannot fill out the form in NC (which is where I live, and where the money was wired from) unless I have a full address for him. How can I locate this guy without paying an arm & a leg for some search service?! Also, is it possible to get subpoenas from my email/IM subscriber to get printed records of this correspondence?

Litigation!

legaleagle said:
Ok, I will make this horrendous, long story, as short as possible. I let this guy borrow ALOT of money from me, but b/c I feel like I shouldnt have been so stupid, I am only going to sue him for 5,000 instead of the 7,000 he owes me. Through IM/Email correspondence, it has been documented that he needed to "borrow" this amount of money from me and he would pay me back every month until it was fully paid. Well, that was in March 2005. He lives in NY and the money was wired, which I have receipts for. My problem is he has since changed his phone number and I do not have an address for him. He has a personal website and email, but if I even attempt to contact him, Im sure he will shut it down in order to evade me, which he has done for the past several months. I cannot fill out the form in NC (which is where I live, and where the money was wired from) unless I have a full address for him. How can I locate this guy without paying an arm & a leg for some search service?! Also, is it possible to get subpoenas from my email/IM subscriber to get printed records of this correspondence?

My response:

You need to visit your local Tattoo Artist. Have him tattoo, "I'm with Stupid" on your forehead with an arrow pointing down to your face.

Color your money all gone.

IAAL

legaleagle

As much as I would like to be amused by your comment, I dont think it was funny in the least. And yes, I can admit I made a mistake of letting someone borrow money without a written contract. But, I do have documentation discussing our agreement. And, yes, I have spoken to a lawyer and my case if valid, I just need an address. So, please dont trivialize my post.

Leinalani

legaleagle said:
As much as I would like to be amused by your comment, I dont think it was funny in the least. And yes, I can admit I made a mistake of letting someone borrow money without a written contract. But, I do have documentation discussing our agreement. And, yes, I have spoken to a lawyer and my case if valid, I just need an address. So, please dont trivialize my post.
Well, if you're adamant about going ahead and doing that then go for it. But, I do believe you'll have to file and sue in his home state/city based on small claims court rules. You need to research and clarify that.

If you go ahead and sue in your home state (NC, I believe), the judgement will be worthless as it will have no bearing in NY.

Since you've already spoken with a lawyer, why didn't you ask him about court/judgement jurisdiction and about how to obtain a potential defendant's address?

BTW, whatever costs you incur to travel to NY and sue this person (i.e: plane fare, car rental, food, lost wages, etc.) can not be tacked on to the judgement amount.

Anyhow, you need to research both your small claims court rules and NY's.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">