• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to Collect a debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

broom

i do freelance design work, and i screen printed $1200 worth of shirts for a girl on very short notice, thus we had a verbal contract.

the event that she was suppose to sell the shirts at rained out so they didn't sell any shirts, so now she refuses to pay for them and she has the shirts. they're even advertised on her website as for sale.

this all happend late last summer. the only hard evidence i have is her on my voice mail saying that she's working on getting me my money and that she wants to work out payments. i also recoreded a phone conversation where she agreed to pay the 1200 in payments. i don't know if i can use that in court in texas or not because she didn't know she was being recorded. I've sent her several invoices and many emails regarding the issue.

where do i go from here and do i even have a case?

thanks

kabal

Email her asking to work something out on the agreement...and document the return e-mail. I see alot of e-mail being used in court.

Just state the conversation you had in the e-mail, and try to get her to agree to it or atleast confirm the conversation.

What Kind of shirts are they i may be able to take them off your hands.

My e-mail is [email protected]

broom

she took the shirts after the show and i haven't seen them or her since. i also have not been able to get her to respond to email or invoices until i threatened to take her to court, at which point she decided she didn't owe us anything.

only thing i really have is the voice mail where she says she owes us money and wants to work out payments. she knows she's being recoreded there, so i should be able to use that. the recorded phone convo i doubt i can use.

at any rate, i gotta get off my ass and file a claim. does it sound like it's worth my time? has too much time passed?

JETX

kabal said:
Email her asking to work something out on the agreement...and document the return e-mail. I see alot of e-mail being used in court.
Ignore this idiot.... as that is just crap. Emails can be spoofed all the time... and a REAL court will not accept them at full value.... but might consider them if there is additional support for the email itself.

There is a way to 'prove' an email to the court.... but not just printing them out.

JETX

broom said:
does it sound like it's worth my time?
No one can answer that as we don't know how valuable your time is. If you want, go ahead and file a small claim suit against her.

has too much time passed?
No one can answer that as you haven't followed the rules of this site.
US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE

However, if this matter is ENTIRELY within Texas, the Texas SOL on a verbal or written contract is four years from incident.

Dandy Don

Please get an agreement signed in writing next time. Verbal agreements are worthless. And to make sure clients are serious about using you, get a deposit upfront to help pay for the cost of materials.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">