• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Items being held randsom after breakup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LUVINLIFE23

Situation: I was in a relationship with a gentleman for 2 1/2 years, I moved in after just 2-3 months of being in the relationship, by moving I was moving over an hour away from my work and commuted back and forth each day and to visit family and friends in the same area. I became very unhappy in the relationship and made the choice to leave due to his temper. It was based upon us trying to work on things to see if he could work on his temper and we would stay in contact, which we have by talking almost everyday since I left (I left September 1, '05) I had moved alot of my stuff out and he had even made a couple trips to my parents house with stuff as he was feeling i would only be his friend and not move back yet he knew I'd be coming back for the rest of my stuff and he was fine with this as we had good communication throughout this entire time. The only belongings left are my hot tub (which I received due to an accident injury I had needed it and was under an insurance claim) I had to leave that there due to 1. i was moving into a small apartment on a temporary basis in case myself and the gentleman worked things out or I moved to a bigger place, i have a large aquarium I had prior to living with him, a patio swing (I was given by my brother), well as of yesterday he stated that he will not allow me to get my stuff (as I had called to setup a time this weekend to get my remaining items) until I give him $1,000 to replace the carpets in the house since i had a cat and he says they are ruined now due to cat urine and have been shedded at the door entries (note: he has a boxer dog). I did give him kitchen utensils (since he didn't have any silverware and glasses) and my couch(so he wouldn't be without any furniture) and an aquarium (to keep his one fish) when I left as I was being civil, which we have been up until the last couple days since he is stating he won't let me get my stuff without money. Please advise what steps I can do to get my stuff back, especially my hot tub since it was an insurance item i need for my back which is getting worse. Do I have a good case that I should take to court? Or what other options do I have?

Thank you,
Kim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">