• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Would this be considered a small claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

recordpimp

I hired a friend to redesign my website. Agreed to a price structure and a general time frame of about 3 months. Signed an aggreement and he began work. Shortly into it, there was a change in direction and a new logo was to be designed and web guy agreed to changes. Then he dropped the ball and left the project unfinished. It is now january 27th and I needed it done by January 1. I have asked for my deposit back of $500. He has not even logged into the website since December 15th. Claims he will keep about $300 for work he did, though I have nothing to show for my money. Why should he keep anything? I am out 4 months of having my old site up, nothing to show now, and have to start over with someone else who will do it. Claims when project changed, the contract became void, but he agreed to what I wanted to do and even said the changes would make his job ALOT easier.

Can I take this to small claims? He is in VA and I am in MD. Do I have to go to VA to file the claim? I don't want to spend hundreds on a lawyer to get back $300. ya know?

thanks
joe

HomeGuru

recordpimp said:
I hired a friend to redesign my website. Agreed to a price structure and a general time frame of about 3 months. Signed an aggreement and he began work. Shortly into it, there was a change in direction and a new logo was to be designed and web guy agreed to changes. Then he dropped the ball and left the project unfinished. It is now january 27th and I needed it done by January 1. I have asked for my deposit back of $500. He has not even logged into the website since December 15th. Claims he will keep about $300 for work he did, though I have nothing to show for my money. Why should he keep anything? I am out 4 months of having my old site up, nothing to show now, and have to start over with someone else who will do it. Claims when project changed, the contract became void, but he agreed to what I wanted to do and even said the changes would make his job ALOT easier.

Can I take this to small claims? He is in VA and I am in MD. Do I have to go to VA to file the claim? I don't want to spend hundreds on a lawyer to get back $300. ya know?

thanks
joe

**A: this is a very small claims action. File it in your state.

recordpimp

ok, your sure I can just take this to a judge myself? Because the moment is coming any day now that I have to follow through.

Do I just go to my local court house and file a claim?

thanks so much
joe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">