• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sharing cost of Fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTLA

California

The owner of the property bordering mine is refusing to pay her share to replace a rotten fence.

I have 92’ of 6’tall “good neighbor” (how ironic) :D fence that straddles the property line. It borders four other properties. When a section of fence between my property and one of my neighbors blew down in a storm I decided it was best to replace the whole fence because much of it was rotten and repair would be a waste of effort. Time was of the essence because my neighbor’s dog was now able to enter my yard through the downed section. Three of my neighbors agreed to replace and pay their half.

The fourth neighbor is the problem. We share a 43” section the fence that had not fallen but was rotten. Two of six the posts had rotted all the way through, the fence was leaning well into her yard and the rails were beginning to crumble.

The house is a rental. I had no way of quickly notifying the owner. I visited the property twice, making contact with the tenant the second time. I gave her a copy of the estimate ($774 for 43’of fence) and asked that she have the owner contact me. I did not hear from the owner and the fence was replaced 4 days after I contacted the tenant.

After four more attempts I finally talked to the owner and she said she refuses to pay because I did not contact her “months” in advance to discuss replacement.

What actions can I take to force my neighbor to pay her half? Do I have a small claims case here?

sunvain

Sorry no Case

Owner of property was never notified. Now that the fence is up you can ask nicely if they would like to pay for the paint, if your painting. Really think about it your lucky you got three out of four to pay, Christ man, what do think this is? A fair life? Thank the three you got and paint the fourth who didn't a pretty pink on there side. Oh almost forgot, save your receipts and call your insurance home owners, check it out you might get Lucky, Good luck!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">