• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued for money order that was stolen, any help welcomed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ghosted12

I have a problem, and hopefully someone can direct me in the right direction.

I mailed a money order for a rent payment to the owner, he admitted that his mailbox was broken into and the money order was stolen. After dealing with the money order place, i got a copy of the money order after it was cashed, the photocopy showed definite signs that it was altered.

Now the owner, wants me to pay him the $600, even though it was stolen from his mailbox.

Whose fault is this? should I have to pay again the $600, or is he responsible for the loss?

thanks for your time

ps. this is in California

BL

Ghosted12 said:
I have a problem, and hopefully someone can direct me in the right direction.

I mailed a money order for a rent payment to the owner, he admitted that his mailbox was broken into and the money order was stolen. After dealing with the money order place, i got a copy of the money order after it was cashed, the photocopy showed definite signs that it was altered.

Now the owner, wants me to pay him the $600, even though it was stolen from his mailbox.

Whose fault is this? should I have to pay again the $600, or is he responsible for the loss?

thanks for your time

ps. this is in California
Easy , You are responsible . You owe your Landlord .
You then contact the Post Office General , and hope they can trace who stole the M/O , and you can take action to recover from the thief .

The LL should also have filed with the Postal General .

If money is tight see if the LL will work with you to make up the $600.00 a little at a time along with other rent payments .

A M/0 is not like a CC , where if money gets lost or stolen you're covered .

The LL is due their rent .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">