• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Knowing boss stole something.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whatdhek

I worked at an electronics store in California while a student. In 2004 I knew my boss had taken an HDTV home (worth >$1500) without paying for it. I told another coworker but neither of us told anyone else. I have since left and live in a different state. Now, management has caught my boss regarding the TV and many other items.

Can I be charged with not "telling" on my former boss?

whatdhek

And also

I did not know about the other items stolen. Just the TV. I did not tell management of the company about the situation because I kept going back and forth and was too coward to do anything about it. Management also now knows I know about the TV.

CdwJava

There is no crime in CA for failing to report a theft. However, depending on the details and what they have been told they might be able to make an argument that you either conspired in the theft or were an accomplice. Only YOU know whether you received anything in compensation by the thief.

I wouldn't worry about it unless or until you are notified by the police asking for you to speak with them.

- Carl

whatdhek

thank you

I did not steal from the store or benefit in anyway from my bosses theft so its great news to hear your reply. I know management let my other coworker know that he may have to appear in court in the future and that got me worried. But, management is management and not lawyers so who knows if we will have to be involved in court.. Regardless, thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">