• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming dependant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katreich

STATE : OHIO

Here is another "EX" story.
My husband and I were going to do our taxes. He has 1 child from a previous marriage. Last year was supposed to be his year to claim the child, but they came to an agreement, that she would claim her. So far so good. Like I said we are doing our taxes, he claims his daughter as dependant and guess what happened. It was rejected because she already claimed the child. We didn’t expect it any other way!
So now we have to paper file. I told my husband he should write a letter and include a copy of the divo papers too.
But here is the best part: We didn’t realize until now, that my husband can claim his daughter every year! According to the divorce papers.

My question: How long will it take for us to get our money? And what will happen to her? How long will it take until the IRS wants their money back from his EX? I know we will be audited, what does that mean exactly?

Thanks
Kat

abezon

1. You won't get audited. The IRS will look at the decree & award the exemption to you.

2. 8 weeks to process an amended return ( you can amend as far back as 2002 & get $$).

3. 3-4 weeks to process the paper return IF you include the STOP cover form to let the IRS know that all the info is in their computers already, they just have to determine who gets the exemption.

4. Shortly after they send you your money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">