• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poop!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepie

Madison County, KY

My husband and I own a home and a little over an acre of land in a subdivison with no homeowners association.

About a month ago, a couple and their two older children moved into the house adjcacent to the one across the street. They have four very large mixed-breed dogs and a dachshund that are kept in the house. Twice daily, the large dogs are walked across the street into our yard, and then back to the other side and around the block. (Our lawn is the only one on our side of the street that they walk through.) As the thread title indicates, the dogs are doing their business in our lawn, and the owners are just leaving it. Our house, and one other are getting the 'bulk' of it. As you could imagine, with four large dogs, twice a day, it's becoming quite foul and disgusting.

Case in point: Yesterday, I took a hoe and spent over 30 minutes cleaning up the mess (roughly 10-15 piles), and then my husband and I took a walk. As we returned home, we met them walking their dogs up the street. When we arrived back at our home, we made it a point to walk down the sidewalk in front of our house to see if they had left us any 'presents.' Sure enough, in the corner of our lot, at least 10 feet into our lawn, there was a massive pile of fresh poo. I would have marched over and had words with them right then, but I was very angry, and decided that it might be best to wait until later.

Unfortunately, as I stated earlier, we have no homeowner's association, and we also live right outside city limits, so there is no 'pooper scooper' law to be enforced. Thus, we will have to rely on the city/state laws to hopefully protect us.

I plan on speaking to them soon. They walk their dogs in the morning after we leave for work, and in the afternoon before we return home. I plan on speaking to them when they are on my property this weekend. I would like to note to them that what they are doing is not only rude, but illegal as well. Under what statues would we be protected? Tresspassing? Littering?

Thank you for your time.

JETX

There are several possible approaches you can take. Depending on your local laws, some are:
1) Presumably, the animals are not on leashes. Take pictures of them being allowed to roam loose, and call your local animal control.
2) Confront the neighbors while the dogs are in the 'act'.
3) Start sending little 'special packages' into THEIR yard.
4) Contact your local sheriff about their animals.
5) Send the owners a very nice "stop it, damn it" letter (certified RRR) letting them know of the problem and requesting that they make other arrangements for their pets.

snostar

In Kentucky, dogs are not permitted to run at large between sunset and sunrise, unless they are accompanied by and under the control of their owner. Although I can't find the exact "Running at Large' Statute. The state government permits local governments to pass additional leash laws, so your local laws my be stricter than the state law. Contact an animal control center in your area.

Or, you can do what I did after my legal efforts were exhausted.....return the merchandise. I started piling the loads in my neighbors driveway. The dogs were tied up within a couple days. :D

sheepie

The animals ARE on leashes, that's what's even more irritating about it. They are standing there watching their dogs defecate in my lawn and leaving it.

I did think about returning it, but I'd like to at least try to be civil at first. :rolleyes:

Warped

I had a similar situation a while back and I asked the neighbor politely to please clean up after his dog when it went in my front yard and I even explained that my young son played in the front yard because our own dog bombed the fenced-in back yard. He sneered and walked off, leaving the pile. The next day, he was walking the dog and again it stopped to leave a deposit on my front lawn. I went outside and asked the guy politely to remove the mess. He said, "there's no law that says I have to clean up my dog's crap if he craps in your yard". I told him that was fine but to expect to wake up in the morning to a brown front door, car doors and house. In 15 minutes he was back with a bag cleaning up the mess. :D

seniorjudge

sheepie said:
The animals ARE on leashes, that's what's even more irritating about it. They are standing there watching their dogs defecate in my lawn and leaving it.

I did think about returning it, but I'd like to at least try to be civil at first. :rolleyes:
And the reason YOU think YOU should be civil is: [fill in the blank]

sheepie

Nah, I prefer to shoot the owners in the ass as opposed to the dog. Not his fault. He has to poop, and they take him to my yard to do it. Nevertheless, good idea. ;)

HappyHusband

Warped said:
I had a similar situation a while back and I asked the neighbor politely to please clean up after his dog when it went in my front yard and I even explained that my young son played in the front yard because our own dog bombed the fenced-in back yard. He sneered and walked off, leaving the pile. The next day, he was walking the dog and again it stopped to leave a deposit on my front lawn. I went outside and asked the guy politely to remove the mess. He said, "there's no law that says I have to clean up my dog's crap if he craps in your yard". I told him that was fine but to expect to wake up in the morning to a brown front door, car doors and house. In 15 minutes he was back with a bag cleaning up the mess. :D
I am all for shooting trespassers, but the puppy poop property painting sounds perfect!:D

sheepie

seniorjudge said:
And the reason YOU think YOU should be civil is: [fill in the blank]
First and foremost, this IS Kentucky! If you walk up on someone else's property and start a ruckus, you're likely to walk away with an ass full of buckshot (especially with people like that)! :D

Secondly, they are my neighbors, and I'd prefer to keep a cordial relationship if that's at all possible. I guess I'm a little too nice.....

seniorjudge

sheepie said:
First and foremost, this IS Kentucky! If you walk up on someone else's property and start a ruckus, you're likely to walk away with an ass full of buckshot (especially with people like that)! :D

Secondly, they are my neighbors, and I'd prefer to keep a cordial relationship if that's at all possible. I guess I'm a little too nice.....
I'm a redneck hillbilly: plain words get you miles ahead of being nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">