• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srella4651

I live in Indiana. The situation is this; my brother borrowed my son's vehicle while my son is on suspension and I had it insured on my policy with my brother as the driver. Things had gone well until my brother used again (he's an addict just out of treatment). The last time I saw him was 1/20/06 and the car was to be returned 1/22/06. I have yet to hear from him or see the car. I filed a report with the police but they told me it was unauthoized use, not stolen. If they find him and the car they will tell him to return it. My question is how long is it unauthorized use before it becomes stolen. I am also thinking of filing a claim in court for the cost of the vehicle so that my son can replace the car. What can I do? Thanks for the input....

Litigation!

srella4651 said:
I live in Indiana. The situation is this; my brother borrowed my son's vehicle while my son is on suspension and I had it insured on my policy with my brother as the driver. Things had gone well until my brother used again (he's an addict just out of treatment). The last time I saw him was 1/20/06 and the car was to be returned 1/22/06. I have yet to hear from him or see the car. I filed a report with the police but they told me it was unauthoized use, not stolen. If they find him and the car they will tell him to return it. My question is how long is it unauthorized use before it becomes stolen. I am also thinking of filing a claim in court for the cost of the vehicle so that my son can replace the car. What can I do? Thanks for the input....

My response:

"I am also thinking of filing a claim in court for the cost of the vehicle so that my son can replace the car."

Please explain how that would work.

IAAL

BL

It's unauthorized use because he was lent the car to use .
He did not steal it .

In my state the police could charge him with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle , but my guess is your State's language is talked funnier than some .

Check with them again , to see if they will take a formal report , and put the plates in the system to look out for .

JETX

srella4651 said:
My question is how long is it unauthorized use before it becomes stolen.
Never. The simple fact is... you gave him permission to use the vehicle.... and therefore, no theft occurred.

I am also thinking of filing a claim in court for the cost of the vehicle so that my son can replace the car.
I would love to hear you argue that one.... and who is your defendant???

What can I do?
Very simple. Go get your damn car. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">