• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor landscaping causing flooding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TXPeg

I'm in Texas. My neighbor has brought in fill dirt and raised their property about a foot above mine. They have a pond in their front yard which they had someone dig wider (toward my home). They also spread the dirt from the pond to create water flow toward our storage buildings. Our storage buildings are on foundations along our property line. We have been using sand bags to keep the water out of our buildings but since the last dirt was spread, it rained, and the water came about 1/2 inch from getting into our building. They have raised the level above our sand bags and continue to divert water onto our property. We live in the country and have no city ordinances. Is there anything we can do to force them to stop running the water toward our property? We don't want to sue them, we just want them to divert the water somewhere else besides onto our property.

seniorjudge

TXPeg said:
I'm in Texas. My neighbor has brought in fill dirt and raised their property about a foot above mine. They have a pond in their front yard which they had someone dig wider (toward my home). They also spread the dirt from the pond to create water flow toward our storage buildings. Our storage buildings are on foundations along our property line. We have been using sand bags to keep the water out of our buildings but since the last dirt was spread, it rained, and the water came about 1/2 inch from getting into our building. They have raised the level above our sand bags and continue to divert water onto our property. We live in the country and have no city ordinances. Is there anything we can do to force them to stop running the water toward our property? We don't want to sue them, we just want them to divert the water somewhere else besides onto our property.
Q: Is there anything we can do to force them to stop running the water toward our property? We don't want to sue them, we just want them to divert the water somewhere else besides onto our property.

A: They are too stupid not to sue; sue them and ask for a permanent injunction against them trespassing on your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">