• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manava_kolan

I am on work visa in Canada. Yesterday I paid for soups(7$) and did not paid for battery-Charger (15$) with my visa card at the store.

I came out of the store and then store security stoped me and took me in side. He said I was taking battery-charger with out paying and I agreed. He ask me to sit and started asking my information to fill the required forms (pictureID & Visa card).

At the end he called the COP and cop came in asked me why I did this. I told him its a stupid thing I did for no reason. He asked my status in the country and where I am living. He took my first name & lastname, DOB on a small paper.

Cop asked me if this is the first time I comited this...I said yes. While talking with cop he said I am under arrtest. Later on he said he is in a good mood so I can go with out any charges. No need to go to court. (It was less than 10 minutes I was with the cop).

Cop did not take any paper work from me. He did not give any written notice to me.

Store security gave a paper saying I should not enter in to that mall for next one year and I may have to pay for the damages.

No picture taken/no finger prints taken.

My concern: how it's going to effect my PR and future visas to USA/Canada.

In the future should I have to tick for the question that I have been arrested before ?

Am I really arrested ?

Please help me with your information.

HomeGuru

manava_kolan said:
I am on work visa in Canada. Yesterday I paid for soups(7$) and did not paid for battery-Charger (15$) with my visa card at the store.

I came out of the store and then store security stoped me and took me in side. He said I was taking battery-charger with out paying and I agreed. He ask me to sit and started asking my information to fill the required forms (pictureID & Visa card).

At the end he called the COP and cop came in asked me why I did this. I told him its a stupid thing I did for no reason. He asked my status in the country and where I am living. He took my first name & lastname, DOB on a small paper.

Cop asked me if this is the first time I comited this...I said yes. While talking with cop he said I am under arrtest. Later on he said he is in a good mood so I can go with out any charges. No need to go to court. (It was less than 10 minutes I was with the cop).

Cop did not take any paper work from me. He did not give any written notice to me.

Store security gave a paper saying I should not enter in to that mall for next one year and I may have to pay for the damages.

No picture taken/no finger prints taken.

My concern: how it's going to effect my PR and future visas to USA/Canada.

In the future should I have to tick for the question that I have been arrested before ?

Am I really arrested ?

Please help me with your information.

**A: US Law Only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">