• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbour cut down tree on my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bisto

California.

When I got home from work today I went outside to discover that my neighbour cut down most of tree in my yard. It may have had some over hanging branches, but he came onto my property, obviously, and cut it back between 3-4 feet from the fence and to about 6 feet from the ground. It originally was probably 15 feet tall. Now it is a 6 foot tall stump with no branches on it.
He also left all the cut logs and branches on my side of the fence.

I took some photos of it. Basically there is nothing that can be done to save the tree now, but should he not atleast have clean up the mess? Is this trespassing? Do I have rights to make him clean the mess? Should I ask my local police to come over and take a look before I clean up the mess if I am the one who has too? Should I throw it all over the fence tomorrow when he's at work and start a war?

thanks.

bisto

Actually that is a very good point. I do not know it was my neighbour but our houses are back to back so someone would have had to be on his property to get to the back of my house.

I will talk to the police before touching it.

thanks. P.S It was an avocado tree.

HomeGuru

bisto said:
California.

When I got home from work today I went outside to discover that my neighbour cut down most of tree in my yard. It may have had some over hanging branches, but he came onto my property, obviously, and cut it back between 3-4 feet from the fence and to about 6 feet from the ground. It originally was probably 15 feet tall. Now it is a 6 foot tall stump with no branches on it.
He also left all the cut logs and branches on my side of the fence.

I took some photos of it. Basically there is nothing that can be done to save the tree now, but should he not atleast have clean up the mess? Is this trespassing? Do I have rights to make him clean the mess? Should I ask my local police to come over and take a look before I clean up the mess if I am the one who has too? Should I throw it all over the fence tomorrow when he's at work and start a war?

thanks.

**A: why did he do that? Is he sick?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">