• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decree/new tax form

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

User7

My Ex and I have been divorced for 9 years and had stipulated in our divorce decree that we would claim our 1 (One) child every other year. This year as doing my taxes I ran into something requesting that I need the custodial parents signature on some new form. (It's my year to claim our child)

My Ex will not sign this form, I am just wondering what rights do I have if I am paying and have always paid my dues and more. It seems to me that one should obide by the decree. That is a written contract, is it not? And if it doesn't hold any kind of value, what is the point of it?

Thanks for your help in advance!

abezon

Send a copy of the decree instead. Alternatively, you can inform your ex that s/he either signs the form now, or you haul him/her into court on contempt charges & s/he signs the form and signs a check for your attorney fees & court costs. Then hang up & let your ex check with his/her lawyer. You'll probably receive the form in a week.

User7

Thank you for the information. There is one other thing to note. When we were first divorced we had joint custody. About three years ago I had to move for work so our custody was changed. (She is now the primary custodian.) However, there was no change made to the every other year claiming of taxes. I just want to make sure this would not affect the decision. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">