• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jennx1032

ny

Okay alittle confused, I filed for divorce and have live apart from my husband for over a year.We have a son together, i have sole custody. My questions being 1> What do i file my taxes as single, married ect? 2> Can i file head of house hold?I live with aunt and uncle who are disabled. 3>My son's farther can he try and claim our son? 4>Do i clain child support or no? I wasn't working last year so he claimed everything,My son and I didn't get anything back.Any help would be great . thanks alot:)

JETX

Jennx1032 said:
What do i file my taxes as single, married ect?
Since you are still married.... you can file married joint or married separate.

Can i file head of house hold?I live with aunt and uncle who are disabled.
No.

My son's farther can he try and claim our son?
Of course he can. If he pays the majority of his expenses, likely his claim would be correct.

Do i clain child support or no? I wasn't working last year so he claimed everything,
Depends on several things. Read the information at:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

Jennx1032

He can clain my son even though i have sole custody. I tought it was who the child lives with. He has a temp order to 100.00 a week, he is supose to pay 150.00.

JETX

Jennx1032 said:
He can clain my son even though i have sole custody. I tought it was who the child lives with. He has a temp order to 100.00 a week, he is supose to pay 150.00.
I provided a link with specifics by the IRS for a reason.... that being who can claim depends on lots of things you have not provided. Read the information and comply with the IRS rules.

Jennx1032

JETX said:
I provided a link with specifics by the IRS for a reason.... that being who can claim depends on lots of things you have not provided. Read the information and comply with the IRS rules.

Thanks for you help, the link will not open, must be blocked from my comp, but thanks for the help anyways:)

LdiJ

Actually, the previous answer that you received was not correct.

Because the child lives with you, you are the only person entitled to the exemption for the child, unless there is a court order that says otherwise.

In order to file head of household, you must truly be the head of the household where you are currently living. Since your separation is obviously legally set (since there are custody orders in place) you may file as single if you cannot file head of household.

Child support is NEVER taxable. Therefore its not included on your return.

Last edited:

Jennx1032

LdiJ said:
Actually, the previous answer that you received was not correct.

Because the child lives with you, you are the only person entitled to the exemption for the child, unless there is a court order that says otherwise.

In order to file head of household, you must truly be the head of the household where you are currently living. Since your separation is obviously legally set (since there are custody orders in place) you may file as single if you cannot file head of household.

Child support is NEVER taxable. Therefore its not included on your return.
Thanks i wasn't sure if i could file single due to my divorce wasn't final yet, is it true ny state law is if you are seperated out of the home for a year that you are legaly seperated?

LdiJ

Jennx1032 said:
Thanks i wasn't sure if i could file single due to my divorce wasn't final yet, is it true ny state law is if you are seperated out of the home for a year that you are legaly seperated?
If you were permitted to file for divorce based on a year's separation (required in NY) then you were legally separated and can file as single.

JETX

LdiJ said:
If you were permitted to file for divorce based on a year's separation (required in NY) then you were legally separated and can file as single.
Sorry, but according to NY CPA's, you are NOT correct.

"Your filing status is determined as of the last day of the tax year (December 31). To use the single status, you must be unmarried or separated from your spouse by either divorce or a written separate maintenance decree on the last day of the year. Unfortunately, you jump into a higher tax bracket more quickly with the single status than with some of the other filing statuses."
http://www.360financialliteracy.org/Life+Stages/Career/Articles/Taxes/Choosing+an+income+tax+filing+status.htm

And from the IRS:
"Married persons. You are married for the whole year if you are separated but you have not obtained a final decree of divorce or separate maintenance by the last day of your tax year. An interlocutory decree is not a final decree."
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf

LdiJ

JETX said:
Sorry, but according to NY CPA's, you are NOT correct.

"Your filing status is determined as of the last day of the tax year (December 31). To use the single status, you must be unmarried or separated from your spouse by either divorce or a written separate maintenance decree on the last day of the year. Unfortunately, you jump into a higher tax bracket more quickly with the single status than with some of the other filing statuses."
http://www.360financialliteracy.org/Life+Stages/Career/Articles/Taxes/Choosing+an+income+tax+filing+status.htm

And from the IRS:
"Married persons. You are married for the whole year if you are separated but you have not obtained a final decree of divorce or separate maintenance by the last day of your tax year. An interlocutory decree is not a final decree."
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p504.pdf
In NY, you have to be separated (legally) for a full year before you can file for divorce. Therefore, if there is a divorce in the works, they had to have had a legal separation. A legal separation allows for filing as single.

Jennx1032

We have filed for divorce on dec 18th of 2004, their are no seperation papers. Reason we claimed on divorce being constuctive abandiment, hoping it would be faster, we were wrong. So what does this mean for tax fileing?Thanks for all the help

Snipes5

If you don't have an Adobe Acrobat reader, get one, they are free.

If your popup blocker is on, turn it off.

Snipes

Jennx1032

Snipes5 said:
If you don't have an Adobe Acrobat reader, get one, they are free.

If your popup blocker is on, turn it off.

Snipes
I don't know i can do that, i am at work, but i will see if it works at home, thanks Snipes:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">