• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 need to be issued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lykele

Last year my wife worked for an individual taking care of her horses and cleaning the house from time to time. She was paid every month and her yearly total was well over $600.

Should we expect an individual to give us a 1099-MISC or is that only issued when you work for a company? If no 1099-MISC where is the income shown? On Schedule C?

Thanks Jim

Litigation!

Lykele said:
Last year my wife worked for an individual taking care of her horses and cleaning the house from time to time. She was paid every month and her yearly total was well over $600.

Should we expect an individual to give us a 1099-MISC or is that only issued when you work for a company? If no 1099-MISC where is the income shown? On Schedule C?

Thanks Jim

My response:

It doesn't matter if a 1099-MISC is issued. Your wife needs to report the income, regardless.

If the individual doesn't want to claim the expense paid to your wife, that's her problem - - not your wife's. Your wife's "problem" is only in the reporting of the income.

IAAL

Lykele

Oh, we've paid estimated taxes all year to account for the income. My only question was if no 1099-MISC is given by this individual where we post that income for Federal taxes.

HappyHusband

Lykele said:
Oh, we've paid estimated taxes all year to account for the income. My only question was if no 1099-MISC is given by this individual where we post that income for Federal taxes.
1040, Line 21 "other income".

Snipes5

Actually, if it is non-employee compensation, it goes on Schedule C and is subject to Self Employment.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">