• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short Term Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L Stiles

I was declined short term disability thru my work place based on "weight vs height ratio." I don't understand the legality of this decision because there are so many reasons I might have "short term disability" that aren't related to my weight. Their statement says disability is being disabled due to sickness, pregnancy or accidental injury. I do not feel that my weight would be an initial cause of any of these factors. What is best recourse for this situation?

L Stiles

After going through the process, which I will, if I am still declined, what is action I should take at that point? The appeals process says I must get a letter from my doctor; however, even with a letter from my doctor, their reason for declining my insurance will not have changed......weight vs height ratio. I am also wondering if this is a common reason for declining anyone's short term disability?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A disability carrier is not under any obligation to accept everyone who applies. If you are declined after the appeal, your recourse is to try another carrier.

Many carriers will decline applicants whose bmi exceeds healthy limits.

L Stiles

im feeling discriminated against because of my weight. they seemed to approve me because of presenting a timely application, but they made a false claim that my application was late. it is for this reason i am offended and have been put through this situation with emotionally being discriminated against. do i have a leg to stand on in this particular situation. i understand i can be turned down for any reason they come up with, but in my situation i feel they have made a huge mistake in my rights. they approved it but i am left with a feeling that others have not been approved and i got lucky. its a matter of principle.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you are in Michigan or the District of Columbia, discriminating against you because of your weight is not illegal

Even if you are in one of those jurisdictions, they have no obligation to accept you if your weight puts you into an ineligible category.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">