• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interviewing for job in law firm

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gerrilynn

I have an interview on friday for a receptionist in a law firm. Heres my problem i am a single mom and 3 years ago i did something illegal in order to support my children. I used my at the time husbands credit cards in order to feed and put clothes on there backs and also to support my household as he paid no child support for 14 months he had me prosecuted so i have been covicted of a crime. Am i wasting my time with the interview or should i go and be straight with them about what has happened. By the way my husband was removed from the home for child abuse so having me proscuted was payback for him. I live in NH and just want to do the right thing.

bluesparkle1995

gerrilynn said:
I have an interview on friday for a receptionist in a law firm. Heres my problem i am a single mom and 3 years ago i did something illegal in order to support my children. I used my at the time husbands credit cards in order to feed and put clothes on there backs and also to support my household as he paid no child support for 14 months he had me prosecuted so i have been covicted of a crime. Am i wasting my time with the interview or should i go and be straight with them about what has happened. By the way my husband was removed from the home for child abuse so having me proscuted was payback for him. I live in NH and just want to do the right thing.
you probable needed this kids removed- hee-hee

seniorjudge

gerrilynn said:
Tell them the absolute proof.

Very few of us have sterling records with no blemishes at all.

If you don't tell and they find out later, you will be branded as dishonest and then fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you tell them about it, you might not get the job. If you don't tell them about it and you get found out, you WON'T get the job/will be fired.

The worst thing you can ever do for yourself in a job interview is lie. Even by omission.

Litigation!

seniorjudge said:
Very few of us have sterling records with no blemishes at all.

My response:

Then, I must have a sterling record. Either that, or I'm exceedingly boring.

I have a law practice and pigskin to protect, so I am "sterling."

IAAL

gerrilynn

It was a felony but i feel with the chance to explain the situation it may or may not make a difference is there anyone who is an attorney if interviewing me i told you my story would you hire me. I used crdiet cards in my at the time husbands name to feed and clothes our children which he was paying no child support on for 14 months there was an active investagation by DCYF for almost 2 years. I was a stay at home mom for 15 years before this happened and when it happened was forced to go back to work. I only worked part time at night so that i could still be there for the children. He the ex had me prosecuted as a way of getting back at me for sidiing with the state. i am not a bad person just made a mistake and needed to feed my children. But since all of this happened. I have worked for the same company for the last 2 years and they do know what happened. I just need to find another job to make ends meet. i just want to know if there is any way i can get a good job with this on my record.

seniorjudge

gerrilynn said:
It was a felony but i feel with the chance to explain the situation it may or may not make a difference is there anyone who is an attorney if interviewing me i told you my story would you hire me. I used crdiet cards in my at the time husbands name to feed and clothes our children which he was paying no child support on for 14 months there was an active investagation by DCYF for almost 2 years. I was a stay at home mom for 15 years before this happened and when it happened was forced to go back to work. I only worked part time at night so that i could still be there for the children. He the ex had me prosecuted as a way of getting back at me for sidiing with the state. i am not a bad person just made a mistake and needed to feed my children. But since all of this happened. I have worked for the same company for the last 2 years and they do know what happened. I just need to find another job to make ends meet. i just want to know if there is any way i can get a good job with this on my record.
Using credit cards is not a felony; could you tell us what you were convicted of?

Also, remember what other posters have said: If you disclose, you may or may not get the job. If you do not disclose and are found out later, then you will lose your job.

If, by the way, that was the only thing you had on your record and you were not going to be handling any money, I wouldn't hesitate to hire you if you were otherwise qualified.

Just remember also that no one is going to hire you because you think you are a victim; whiny people have a hard time getting hired.

So, when you explain the conviction (which we still don't know what it is), do it dispassionately and accept the responsibility.

gerrilynn

Sorry, Identity fraud was what it ended up being. I am in no way whining and have except full responsiblity for what i have done and am working hard to get our lives back together. I have no problem admitting to what i did and also the reason's behind it. But i feel that i also need to explain why. Maybe im wrong but i was in a desperate situation and only thought about providing for the children. As i said this was alomost 2 years ago and have since been employed with the same company sicne. I am just looking to better my life. Thanks for all the input

Dandy Don

Please don't stress out about this. Wait and get a feel of how the interview goes and what type of questions they ask so that you can get an idea of whether they are interested in hiring you or not and whether you would want to work there/feel compatible with the other people working there.

You don't have to bring it up first--undoubtedly they will do a background check if they are interested in hiring you. You can wait for them to bring it up and then explain (I think they will have sympathy for you as a person who was financially strapped in trying to take care of a family).

When they bring it up you can then explain, not in a whiny or begging fashion, just briefly explaining what happened and whether you have made resitution or paid the price for your actions and assure them that it will never happen again. Is this the only thing on your record?

I feel they will call you back for a second interview and will be interested in you as a candidate if your receptionist skills are good (do you have a great personality? friendly way of greeting clients? good phone voice? experience as a receptionist?). Even if it turns out they don't want you, there are plenty of other places that need your skills.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">