• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lazy mechanic pay for my rental car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weirsl

State: Virginia
I recently dropped off my minivan to have a VA state inspection done. I had warned the mechanic that there may be some electrical issues with the car & knew there were a few things that HAD to be done to pass inspection. He said it could take several days to fix, electrical problems are complicated. I dropped it off on a saturday and he said he would look at it monday and call me. I didn't hear from him monday and called tuesday, and he said he would look at it that evening and call. I didn't hear from him, so I called Wednesday. He said he would look at it Wednesday night and call. When I hadn't heard from him on Thursday, I called him that evening and said I would be there to pick it up, since my rental car was almost due back (I had only gotten it for a week) and couldn't afford another week while he finally got around to even looking at my van. When I complained to the better business bureau, he replied saying he had told me that it would be a week before he could look at my car, citing that two of his mechanics had just gotten called to Iraq and he was behind in his work. He never told me that (I would have taken it elsewhere if that were the case). I ended up taking the van elsewhere and they fixed everything in only one day (and there was no electrical problem). Can I sue him for the cost of the rental car (minus the one day I would have had it anyway?) He didn't charge me for anything when I picked up the van, and had told me he hadn't done anything with it, but in his response he said he had pulled some electrical diagrams on the van. (I don't believe it).
???

JETX

weirsl said:
Can I sue him for the cost of the rental car (minus the one day I would have had it anyway?)
Of course you can sue him..... after all, anyone can sue almost anyone else over almost anything.
However, you have no case. It was incumbent on YOU to pull the vehicle from the shop if you felt that it was taking too long. That is called 'mitigating damages'. You didn't.

weirsl

Oh?

I did mitigate my damages... I would have been out twice as much if I had waited for him to actually fix my van....

JETX

weirsl said:
I did mitigate my damages... I would have been out twice as much if I had waited for him to actually fix my van....
That has NOTHING to do with your claim of 'rental car' reimbursement. You should have made arrangements to pull your car from him right after you got the FIRST delay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">