• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interest Claim on House

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EileenB

My husband and I divorced Nov.1 2005. We paid off the house in August and he quick claimed it to me in August. I am now the owner of the house. Who claims the interest on their tax forms? He says he does. Everyone tells me I do since I own the house. I don't know.:confused:
Oh - we are filing separately

LdiJ

EileenB said:
My husband and I divorced Nov.1 2005. We paid off the house in August and he quick claimed it to me in August. I am now the owner of the house. Who claims the interest on their tax forms? He says he does. Everyone tells me I do since I own the house. I don't know.:confused:
Oh - we are filing separately
Well, you were an owner of the home when it was paid off, and you own the home now. However, if you paid off the house in August there had to be very little interest. How much are you arguing over and does it really make a difference on either of your tax returns?

EileenB

It's about $4400. I don't know what the argument is except he keeps 'telling' me how to file so he can take the interest deduction on the house. I haven't even looked at my taxes but he's adament (sp?) about it how I need to file to best benefit him. Personally, I don't care what benefits him. My family tells me to take the deduction. I have to figure this out on my own so I'm looking for advice. He's getting very hostile about it and I'm trying to figure out why. Thanks in advance.:)

LdiJ

EileenB said:
It's about $4400. I don't know what the argument is except he keeps 'telling' me how to file so he can take the interest deduction on the house. I haven't even looked at my taxes but he's adament (sp?) about it how I need to file to best benefit him. Personally, I don't care what benefits him. My family tells me to take the deduction. I have to figure this out on my own so I'm looking for advice. He's getting very hostile about it and I'm trying to figure out why. Thanks in advance.:)
Its legal for either of you to take the deduction as you were both owners of the home at the time that the interest was paid. I am not sure who the IRS would ding if you both took the deduction.

I probably boils down to a fairness issue. Assuming that your divorce was final in November, you may file as single or head of household (if you qualify for HOH). See how much of a difference it would make on your taxes if you don't get the deduction. Run your numbers using the standard deduction, and then do it again with itemized deductions. See how much of a difference the interest actually makes. If the interest doesn't put you very far over the standard deduction, it won't make much difference on your actual taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">