• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Head of Household--Can I claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tesseract314

I have an unusual situation regarding "head of household" status for my own tax return. My partner (same sex) is under 24 and a full time student (I am 22) who is entirely supported by his parents and myself. His parents are claiming him as a dependent on their tax return. However, I have done the math, and I do pay for >50% of the cost of "keeping up the home" as the rules for HOH specify. I also noticed that on my electronic tax form, I can put him in as a dependent that I am "not claiming, but using for HOH status". If I claim HOH and use his info, is that legit? If I do it, could it mess up his parents' return? Thank you for your assistance.

Snipes5

He does not qualify you for HOH because he is not a qualifying child, nor is he related to you by blood.

The only thing you could have gotten is the dependency exemption IF he lived with you all year, and the tuition credits or deduction.

Since his parents are claiming him, you are SOL.

Sorry.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">