• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rental property sale & depreciation issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unitdelta

Am I out of luck?

I sold rental property last year.

Starting back in 1999 I stopped taking the annual depreciation charge since it was always going to carryover anyway, not realizing then (or until now working on Sched D) that I should have continued to build the carryover up just the same as it would offset the "possible" depreciation I could have taken over the years.

I already have over $36K carryover on this property but the difference between the depreciation I took and what was possible is: $19k!!!

Can I just figure that in to my cost basis? Can I override the amount possible (I use turbotax) with the amount I took? Will the IRS see the good faith here?

Or....yuck!.....is my only resource to file amended returns back three years adding in the $3300 depreciation for each year and increasing my carryover at least by $10K?

I'm thinking the IRS will see my reasoning here as in my tax bracket I would never have been able to use the depreciation deduction.

Sure would appreciate an opinion.

Thanks,

Delta:eek:

seniorjudge

unitdelta said:
Am I out of luck?

I sold rental property last year.

Starting back in 1999 I stopped taking the annual depreciation charge since it was always going to carryover anyway, not realizing then (or until now working on Sched D) that I should have continued to build the carryover up just the same as it would offset the "possible" depreciation I could have taken over the years.

I already have over $36K carryover on this property but the difference between the depreciation I took and what was possible is: $19k!!!

Can I just figure that in to my cost basis? Can I override the amount possible (I use turbotax) with the amount I took? Will the IRS see the good faith here?

Or....yuck!.....is my only resource to file amended returns back three years adding in the $3300 depreciation for each year and increasing my carryover at least by $10K?

I'm thinking the IRS will see my reasoning here as in my tax bracket I would never have been able to use the depreciation deduction.

Sure would appreciate an opinion.

Thanks,

Delta:eek:

snipes5 gave you good advice here:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=228793

unitdelta

BUT:

Seniorjudge,

Why does it say that you have to calculate it in even if you didn't use it? That's what is throwing me now.

Am I reading too much in to this?

sorry......I guess I'm only talking about $3K when all is said and done but I would rather keep that money for myself.

excuse moi!!!

seniorjudge

Wait for someone knowledgeable:

I have two goals in life --

1. Never use a vacuum cleaner

and

B. Never fill out a tax form you can give to your CPA....

unitdelta

seniorjudge said:
Wait for someone knowledgeable:

I have two goals in life --

1. Never use a vacuum cleaner

and

B. Never fill out a tax form you can give to your CPA....
That's probably good advice.

However, my wife makes me run the vaccuum regardless of my dislike for it. :)

I spoke with my company CPA last year briefly about estimated taxes but even though I should have a pro do mine, I've been on the TT train for quite a while now.

Snipes5

Get it done by a tax pro who understands that depreciation is not required if you can prove it wasn't taken.

Tell them to thoroughly read Sections 1245 and 1250 of the code. I think it is actually 1250(b)(3), but I could be off on the subsections.

TurboTax will not do this properly!

Snipes

seniorjudge

Snipes5 said:
Get it done by a tax pro who understands that depreciation is not required if you can prove it wasn't taken.

Tell them to thoroughly read Sections 1245 and 1250 of the code. I think it is actually 1250(b)(3), but I could be off on the subsections.

TurboTax will not do this properly!

Snipes
Do you vacuum?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">