• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consultant living in NH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fireheart99

State I live in: NH

I'm really glad I found this forum, and I'm hoping someone may be able to answer a question I have.

My husband and I live in New Hampshire. My husband has been a consultant for about 8 months for a company based in Massachusetts. He had to fill out a 1099 when he first became employed because the company didn't want to be responsible for witholding taxes from my husband's pay checks. He works at the Massachusetts office sometimes, but mainly he works from home - meaning Londonderry NH.

My question is, would my husband have to file a Massachusetts state return just because the company is located in Massachusetts, even though he mainly works at home in NH?

I'm employed by a company in Boston and work there 40 hours per week, so I usually file a state return without my husband because he has previously only had jobs in NH. But I'm unsure of what to do in this case, and I don't want to be penalized for making the wrong decision.

I know we will end up oweing money to the IRS big time because he hasn't had any taxes taken out....so if he doesn't have to file state it would save us money. If we don't file state jointly, I'm worried that we'll get audited.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">