• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Form says I made $70,000 which I don't know about

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alpha13

I recieved a 1099-misc in the mail today. I've received other tax forms which I've had no issues with but today's one is very strange.

First of all I don't know who sent this. The payer's name is listed as "[company name] Declaration of trust" All of my listed information (name, address, SSN) is correct. Now here is the strange part" under box #7 "nonemployee compensation" is an amount of over $70k! To give your an idea of how crazy this is, I am 21 years old and haven't done any business related things. My parents are both working class and none of my relatives are wealthy, nor have any of them died recently. My name is very unique even for someone in my native country so I doubt this is a case of someone having the wrong letter sent to them. My question is, what could this possibly be? I'd like to think there is some trust out there with $70k for me but more likely there is some kind of mixup which will cause the IRS to think I owe them taxes on 70K that I do not have!

Thanks

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Alpha13 said:
I recieved a 1099-misc in the mail today. I've received other tax forms which I've had no issues with but today's one is very strange.

First of all I don't know who sent this. The payer's name is listed as "[company name] Declaration of trust" All of my listed information (name, address, SSN) is correct. Now here is the strange part" under box #7 "nonemployee compensation" is an amount of over $70k! To give your an idea of how crazy this is, I am 21 years old and haven't done any business related things. My parents are both working class and none of my relatives are wealthy, nor have any of them died recently. My name is very unique even for someone in my native country so I doubt this is a case of someone having the wrong letter sent to them. My question is, what could this possibly be? I'd like to think there is some trust out there with $70k for me but more likely there is some kind of mixup which will cause the IRS to think I owe them taxes on 70K that I do not have!

Thanks

**A: we trust you. How much are you not going to get this year; $80K?

Alpha13

Honestly what is the purpose of posting if you are just going to write something like that? Take my question seriously or don't post at all please.

Some Random Guy

What efforts have you taken to determine where/what is "[company name]"? Is there a return address on the envelope? Have you searched on Google? Business incorporation records for your state?

The IRS thinks you made $70K. Either find out who reported this or pony up $20K for taxes.

S

shell007

Snipes5 said:
Did you win a prize of some kind?
Maybe it was from Kellogg's!!

Ya know...they put some pretty cool stuff in those cereal boxes. The "glow in the dark" spoon was my favorite.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">