• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor boundry problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IXL2

Name of state---Washington
Six(6)years ago I installed a fence and left a lane on the other side to access the back part of my property. Neighbors installed a retaining wall and started to mow the area five(5) years ago. This summer I learn about adverse possesion and was advised to get a survey to identify the boundry. Five(5) feet of the retaining wall is on my property and they think the fence is the boundry so they claim the entire area. I informed them and here came an anti-harassment restraining order. Charges were all dismissed but judge would not rule on the boundry issue. I don"t want to go to court again, but fully intend to reclaim the area and have the wall removed. Can I send a return receipt letter telling them to remove the wall by a certain date sixty(60) days or else I will remove it personally?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
IXL2 said:
Name of state---Washington
Six(6)years ago I installed a fence and left a lane on the other side to access the back part of my property. Neighbors installed a retaining wall and started to mow the area five(5) years ago. This summer I learn about adverse possesion and was advised to get a survey to identify the boundry. Five(5) feet of the retaining wall is on my property and they think the fence is the boundry so they claim the entire area. I informed them and here came an anti-harassment restraining order. Charges were all dismissed but judge would not rule on the boundry issue. I don"t want to go to court again, but fully intend to reclaim the area and have the wall removed. Can I send a return receipt letter telling them to remove the wall by a certain date sixty(60) days or else I will remove it personally?
Its your property so send them a letter CRRR -- certified return receipt requested. Also check with an attorney because they cannot claim by adverse possession if it is not adverse -- as in if they have permission to use the area. However that may get in to an easement issue.

HomeGuru

writer, if you do not have a current survey, how do you know if the retaining wall is on your property?

IXL2

HomeGuru said:
writer, if you do not have a current survey, how do you know if the retaining wall is on your property?

The survey is current. Therre is no easement issue, the issue is they have incorporated the area into their backyard. I put the fence back to allow a lane for my use and as a courtesy move so our horses didn't interfere with them. Now they moved to the fence line anyway. When I learned of adverse possession I took action to notify them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">