• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child tax Laws for a child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rich5clark

My son, who is 12, won a sweepstakes for $25,000.00 cash last year. We received form 1099 for him under his own name and social security number. He did receive the full amount without anything being held. How do I file this correctly in New York? Do I file seperately for him or do I need to include it on my form as his parent? Thanks in advance!

seniorjudge

rich5clark said:
My son, who is 12, won a sweepstakes for $25,000.00 cash last year. We received form 1099 for him under his own name and social security number. He did receive the full amount without anything being held. How do I file this correctly in New York? Do I file seperately for him or do I need to include it on my form as his parent? Thanks in advance!
Ask the judge of the court where you set up his conservatorship/guardianship.

LdiJ

seniorjudge said:
Okay...then ask a tax professional.
Uh...that is what she was doing by asking that question here...LOL.

OP, your son is going to have to file his own tax return this year. He is also going to have to pay taxes on his winnings. Due to his age, he is going to be taxed at your marginal tax rate. You really do need a professional to handle the return.....and be prepared to pay a significant chunk of taxes since nothing was withheld.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">