• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stumped in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luvrette31

I recently started my daughters taxes on-line was almost done and then she gets a form 1098-T in the mail from here school. There are only 2 amounts on the form $9743.00 for (amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses). And $1400.00 for( Scholarships or grants). I am kinda confused on where to put this on her taxes. Please help!

seniorjudge

luvrette31 said:
I recently started my daughters taxes on-line was almost done and then she gets a form 1098-T in the mail from here school. There are only 2 amounts on the form $9743.00 for (amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses). And $1400.00 for( Scholarships or grants). I am kinda confused on where to put this on her taxes. Please help!
www.irs.gov/instructions/i1098et/ar02.html

LdiJ

luvrette31 said:
Well, first, if your daughter is still a full time student and living at home (and temporarily living at school counts as living at home), and does not provide more than 50% of her own support, its possible that you are claiming her as a dependent. (or should be) If so, the 1098 should be reported on your tax return rather than hers. It also is likely to have more value on yours rather than hers.

In any case, the total minus the scholarships can either be taken as a tuition and fees deductions on page 1 of the 1040 (under adjustments) or as an education credit (Hope or Lifetime) on page 2 of the 1040 (under credits).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">