• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pastor needs advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PastorD

I am a Pastor who just started a church this year(2005). We did not have a payroll this (2005)year do us just starting out. Our Church is regestered as a 501c3 not for profit organization, and I am listed as President/Pastor. I did not draw a salary at all and will not be recieving a W-2 from my church. I have a full time job also which is how I earned a living in 2005. Am I able to claim as deductions expenses I incurred as a Pastor, such as travel and home office space and study supplies, schools when I file my 1040?

LdiJ

PastorD said:
I am a Pastor who just started a church this year(2005). We did not have a payroll this (2005)year do us just starting out. Our Church is regestered as a 501c3 not for profit organization, and I am listed as President/Pastor. I did not draw a salary at all and will not be recieving a W-2 from my church. I have a full time job also which is how I earned a living in 2005. Am I able to claim as deductions expenses I incurred as a Pastor, such as travel and home office space and study supplies, schools when I file my 1040?
Hmmm...interesting.

Well, if you paid tuition to go to school to become a pastor, that is legitimate post secondary eduction and you would be entitled to either an education credit or a tuition and fees deduction.

Some of your other expenses might be legitimate schedule A charitable deductions.

However I would not recommend attempting a home office deduction, and school and study supplies would not be deductible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">