• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easy way out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jade777

I'm livng in MI and I was married in Michigan in '93 or '94, separated in '97, and have seen my husband twice since then to try to get him to sign divorce papers. I called the county to find out about the status of the divorce he said "he" filed for. What I found out is that the judge never signed the final papers for him to be divorced from his first wife when we were married. I know this is a technicality and he swears he knew nothing of it before now, so is there anyway I can find out if our marriage is void or annuled because of that issue, or will I still need to go through a divorce process? I don't have many hundreds or thousands of dollars to pay for a lawyer and we have no property or children from this marriage. He's been living with his girlfriend now since we separated in '97 so we have had no marital relations since then.

T

Tigres

The easiest way to find out would be to see a paralegal for assistance filling out the paperwork. Then, file for an annulment based on his previous marriage / bigamy.

If he contests the annulment, he will have to prove the marriage was legally dissolved. If he doesn't do that, you will receive the annulment. If he does, you will have to file for divorce.

Tig

http://smilecwm.tripod.com/ruinkai/rainfro.gif

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">