• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deliberately overcharged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msbpace

Recently I went to a restaurant and paid with my debit card. After balancing my checkbook a few days later, I found that the waitress had deliberately run my debit card through for more than I authorized. I called the manager who said he would take care of it and call me back. However, I have not heard from him and I have left a second message as well. I'm not naive enough to believe that I am the only one this is happening to. Because the amount is not large, I'm sure, they assume no one will bother calling about it. Is there anything that can be done about this? This happened in Jacksonville, Florida.

Litigation!

msbpace said:
Recently I went to a restaurant and paid with my debit card. After balancing my checkbook a few days later, I found that the waitress had deliberately run my debit card through for more than I authorized. I called the manager who said he would take care of it and call me back. However, I have not heard from him and I have left a second message as well. I'm not naive enough to believe that I am the only one this is happening to. Because the amount is not large, I'm sure, they assume no one will bother calling about it. Is there anything that can be done about this? This happened in Jacksonville, Florida.
My response:

"deliberately"?

You can't prove that. And, besides, they have your signature on an authorization receipt.

IAAL

stephenk

Do you still have the check receipt showing the amount to be charged? How much more was charged to the account?

Dandy Don

Did she overcharge you for an additional tip or is it clear what the overcharge is for?

You need to also be discussing this with your credit card company so they can investigate other billings from that restaurant to see if perhaps other people are being overcharged as well.

msbpace

deliberately overcharged reply

I do still have the receipt showing what I agreed to and my credit card company is already looking into it as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">