• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just found old account - owe on capital gains!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lsrp

Just found old mutual fund account - what do I do about back capital gains?

I just found out about a mutual fund account that is in my name that has been accruing capital gains for the past 9 years. I have never received any statements on this account and never realized that it existed. Therefore, I have never paid any taxes on these gains. Of course I will have to now. My concerns are (a) how do I go about this (amended returns for 9 years?) and my biggest concern is (b) fines!! Has anyone out there heard of something like this happening? I think I could "prove" that I was unaware of the account all this time. Is there a way to plead my case to the IRS about this to avoid huge fines? I know that I will need a tax advisor and/or lawyer to deal with this but I wanted to get an idea of what I am looking at here. Thanks to any who respond.

-- North Carolina resident (but past taxes will be NC and GA)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">