• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help My Brother-In-Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GeorgiaGirl

My brother-in-law lives in Georgia in the country. He has a pie-shaped lot and a narrow strip of property exists between his lot and the next homeowner. The owner of the narrow strip has recently had 3 surveys, and it appears that he has finally gotten an "answer" that he likes. He says that my brother-in-law's driveway is on his property and wants it removed within 90 days. Well, my brother-in-law doesn't have any reason to believe that the land in question, is in fact, the neighbor's. The driveway predates him and has been there at least 10 years. There has never, to this point, been discussion about the land belonging to anyone but my brother-in-law.

From what I remember from my real estate law class in graduate school, it seems that even if the 3rd survey is right, he could claim adverse possession.

What is the next best step? Get his own survey? The letter was sent certified mail. Should he respond, in kind?

He's got no spare money for an attorney. Your assistance is appreciated.

lwpat

Your brother needs to contact the first two surveyors and pay the one he "likes" to survey his lot. Then write and tell the neighbor sorry, I like my driveway just the way it is. Your can also check the adverse possession "color of title" law in Ga.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">