• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099 misc/Head of household or single?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

norm9838

My stepdaughter received income from a company that she worked for. They did not take taxes out on her and issued her a 1099 misc. I understand that she has to pay self employment taxes and that it should be listed on schedule c. She did not have any expenses other than driving to and from work and I assume that can not be counted. She only worked for them the last months of last year and only made 2230.00 as they were short on help and just needed someone for a short period. On the line where it asked company name what should she put? Then too what should she put down for the type of business, the company she worked for imprints athletic apparel.

She lives in a home that is divided into two apartments. The heat and electric is shared by both places and she and the other couple divide the bills equally. She has two children that she can claim as dependents. What she would like to know is can she file head of household or should she just file single and claim her children?

Snipes5

HOH status won't do anything for her tax liability, and may invite needless IRS questions.

She should file single and claim the kids.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">