• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxable Relocation Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rabarger

Can my employer tax me for temporary housing expenses and per diems for relocation? (Federal, Social Security, and Medicare.)

W

wowie

I am not an attorney and not a CPA

simply put, yes. It is income to you. Believe me when I say that if they COULD get away without taxing it they would. It costs them much more in tax dollars than it costs you.

L

loku

Employer reimbursements

If the reimbursements were under an accountable plan, then they would not be income to you and the employer would should not withhold taxes. However, if the reimbursements were not under an accountable plan, then they are income to you, they are treated as salary, and the employer must withhold tax.

However, if it is treated as income to you, you can deduct the expenses of moving, etc. as an employee business expense.

R

Robert Jones

What do you define as an accountable plan in relation to taxable relocation expenses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">