• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

put lots in got very little back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i paid in $27,000 last year, only got back $1,200.00.
shouldn't i have been able to write off the $2,200.00 in donations to salvation army and the homeless center?
how about the $750.00 for dental that ins. didn't cover? (gum disease)
i paid $12,000.00 rent. can i write some of that off?
how about required wear for work?
i've never been asked for any of this stuff. should i look into this, further?

thank you very much

paradise105pw said:
i paid in $27,000 last year, only got back $1,200.00.
shouldn't i have been able to write off the $2,200.00 in donations to salvation army and the homeless center?
how about the $750.00 for dental that ins. didn't cover? (gum disease)
i paid $12,000.00 rent. can i write some of that off?
how about required wear for work?
i've never been asked for any of this stuff. should i look into this, further?

thank you very much
Sounds like taking the standard deduction, rather than itemizing, is to your advantage. That is probably why you have never been asked.

justalayman

How much you make has nothing to do with how much your refund is.

If everything works like it is supposed to, you should get back or owe nearly $0 when you file taxes. Truth is there are too many variables for this to be actual practice.

Additionally if you paid in $27000 (without defining who this was to) based on normal withholdings you had to have made somewhere north of $120,000 last year.

If your making this kind of money, you should be talking to a pro in regards to your taxes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">