• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-2 Inquiry from Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eugene44

Hello,

I have a question regarding income for '05: When I received my W-2 form from my current employer I noticed that it didn't include wages "earned" in the last pay period of '05 [12/18 -thru- 12/31 i.e., weekending 12/31].

I received a paycheck for these days worked on 1/04/2006, so I am assuming these wages will appear on the upcoming year's W-2 form, however I would like to capture these wages on my current W-2 because it will help increase my dwindling wages for '05 and as such will result in a larger Earned Income Credit; As you know if you earn to much the EIC decreases and conversly if you earn to little it decreases as well [depending upon the circumstances], so in my situation all the extra income that I can report will help.

Is there a remedy for this or am I simply stuck?

P.S. Thanks for having this forum.

Snipes5

You are stuck. Income is earned in the year it is RECEIVED. So that income is taxable in 06.

The IRS has a matching program and will definitely catch the error if you do it any other way. Also, if you do it in order to increase EIC, they will adjust it and possibly charge you with fraud.

If you are caught committing EIC fraud, you are not permitted to claim EIC for 10 years after.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">