• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Security Deposit Rtnd to Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rlpalumbo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. Okay, so about eleven months ago I moved out of my condo that I shared with a roommate. When we moved in I was told to write a $1100 security deposit for my half and that he needed to leave a $2200 deposit because his credit was poor. It didn't occur to me to question this so I wrote my check out to the realtor involved as instructed. When I was unable to reach my roommate I contacted the landlords realtor and was told that the security deposit was returned to my roommate (minus $100 for cleaning) and that I had not left a security deposit. She looked into my check and saw that it as used for the first months rent on the property. (Apparently I was always one month ahead when I paid my rent). I spoke to my roommate and at first he agreed that $1050 was going to be returned to me but is now refusing to pay. (Yes, I moved out in March '05 so this refusal happened after alot of running around the point and promised payments.) Since the landlord and realtor fulfilled their obligation by returning the actual security deposit to the party who wrote the check ~ How do I get my security deposit back from my roommate? I'm a legal idiot! THANK YOU!

I live and rented in Pennsylvania

Happy Trails

rlpalumbo said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello. Okay, so about eleven months ago I moved out of my condo that I shared with a roommate. When we moved in I was told to write a $1100 security deposit for my half and that he needed to leave a $2200 deposit because his credit was poor. It didn't occur to me to question this so I wrote my check out to the realtor involved as instructed. When I was unable to reach my roommate I contacted the landlords realtor and was told that the security deposit was returned to my roommate (minus $100 for cleaning) and that I had not left a security deposit. She looked into my check and saw that it as used for the first months rent on the property. (Apparently I was always one month ahead when I paid my rent). I spoke to my roommate and at first he agreed that $1050 was going to be returned to me but is now refusing to pay. (Yes, I moved out in March '05 so this refusal happened after alot of running around the point and promised payments.) Since the landlord and realtor fulfilled their obligation by returning the actual security deposit to the party who wrote the check ~ How do I get my security deposit back from my roommate? I'm a legal idiot! THANK YOU!

I live and rented in Pennsylvania
Sue him in small claims court.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/consumerism/small_pa.html

rlpalumbo

At the list of sounding like a COMPLETE idiot...

How do you start that process? Also, he is currently under house arrest so will I have to wait until after it is over to be able to get him to court? I know (I know...I really know how to pick my friends right...) I just don't know how to sue someone, I guess this is the sort of information I am looking for. HOW do I take someone to court and do I go to a court where I currently live or where I rented?

THANKS!:D

Okay so you supplied me with a link that gives me most of the information...so ignore above. THANKS! Does anyone know if all courts have a minimum? I am only owed 1050 but I noticed Philadelphia has a n 8000 minimum for disctrict courts. This occurred in Bucks County and it looks like I have to go to a court in the town that he lives now (which is about two hours south of my home now ~ does that matter?).

Any information would be helpful. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Last edited:

Happy Trails

rlpalumbo said:
How do you start that process? Also, he is currently under house arrest so will I have to wait until after it is over to be able to get him to court? I know (I know...I really know how to pick my friends right...) I just don't know how to sue someone, I guess this is the sort of information I am looking for. HOW do I take someone to court and do I go to a court where I currently live or where I rented?

THANKS!:D

Okay so you supplied me with a link that gives me most of the information...so ignore above. THANKS! Does anyone know if all courts have a minimum? I am only owed 1050 but I noticed Philadelphia has a n 8000 minimum for disctrict courts. This occurred in Bucks County and it looks like I have to go to a court in the town that he lives now (which is about two hours south of my home now ~ does that matter?).

Any information would be helpful. THANK YOU THANK YOU!
You can sue a person up to that amount (it is the maximum, not minimum).

Where To Sue: Where defendant resides or is found or where breach or injury occurred. Corporation resides where it has principal place of business.

http://www.buckscounty.org/courts/

Click on Court of Common Pleas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">