• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

beneficiary ira lump sum distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kaycee3390

My daughter was named beneficiary of a traditional IRA when her aunt, a Florida resident, died in 2000. We live in NJ. A lump sum distribution was made in December 2005--approximately $8000--all of which is subject to federal taxation. In early June 2005, my daughter graduated from a Pennsylvania college and decided to stay and live in Pennsylvania. Is this distribution subject to any state taxation in Pennsylvania? I have searched all information and it appears that with a distribution code of 4 on the 1099-R it is not taxed in PA, but is there something I am missing or perhaps another tax I am not aware of? It is also confusing because she is our dependent for 2005 and actually spent about half the year in NJ and the other in PA.

LdiJ

kaycee3390 said:
My daughter was named beneficiary of a traditional IRA when her aunt, a Florida resident, died in 2000. We live in NJ. A lump sum distribution was made in December 2005--approximately $8000--all of which is subject to federal taxation. In early June 2005, my daughter graduated from a Pennsylvania college and decided to stay and live in Pennsylvania. Is this distribution subject to any state taxation in Pennsylvania? I have searched all information and it appears that with a distribution code of 4 on the 1099-R it is not taxed in PA, but is there something I am missing or perhaps another tax I am not aware of? It is also confusing because she is our dependent for 2005 and actually spent about half the year in NJ and the other in PA.
I think you probably need to have her taxes done professionally this year. I think she should probably be treated as a part year resident of both NJ and PA. That's a pain to try to do on your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">